Chicken Teriyaki Rice Bowls
½ cup low sodium soy sauce
½ cup water
3 tbsp light brown sugar
3 tbsp honey
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp minced ginger
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 ½ tbsp cornstarch
Chicken, Rice, Veggies
3 ½ tbsp olive oil, divided
1 ½ lbs skinless chicken breasts
ground black pepper to taste
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 ½ cups matchstick carrots
2 ½ cups small diced broccoli florets
1 ½ - 2 cups white or brown rice, cooking to directions
Sesame seeds, optional
- In a small saucepan whisk together on low sodium soy sauce, ¼ cup + 2 tbsp of the water, the brown sugar, honey, garlic, ginger and rice vinegar
- Bring to a light boil over medium high heat. Whisk together cornstarch with remaining 2 tbsp water, then add to sauce mixture in saucepan. Reduce heat slightly and allow to boil 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Cut up the chicken into cube sized pieces and put in a pan with some olive oil and cook until is cooked thoroughly set aside.
- At the same time as cooking the chicken, start cooking the rice as per the package.
- Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in the same pan over medium high heat and add zucchini , broccoli and carrots and sauté 4 - 5 minutes until crisp tender.
- To assemble the bowls, layer rice and then top with chicken and then the veggies. Drizzle desired amount of teriyaki sauce over tops and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Let me know if you guys make this and what you think of it!!